Lego Mania

My oldest turned six at the beginning of this month.  This birthday seems like a big deal to me.  Six means loose teeth that fall out, and in come big person teeth.  Six feels like the end of little boy and the beginning of BIG boy.  Slow down time, slow down!!

He decided the theme of this year's gathering would revolve around all things Lego.  This seemed so timely because the weekend before we watched the Lego movie at a local theatre.  "Everything is Awesome..." (sing it with me now!!)  If you haven't seen it, I seriously recommend it--very funny and imaginative.

On to the party...my mom bought what she thought was a pinata, but was actually a Kerplunk type game.  The cardboard tower was full of lego-shaped candies (it did not come with them; I put them in).  Each child spun a little pointer and pulled out whichever colour tab the pointer landed on.  If any candies fell from the bottom of the tower they got to put them in their goody bags.


After all the tabs were pulled and the candies were collected, we gave the kids 5 minutes to build a tower as tall as they could with the candies they had won.
 

Here's the winner!!  Congrats Hope!
 

Thank goodness for Pinterest.  I hadn't planned anything except for the tower game until about 2 hours before the guests were slated to arrive.  When you've got 16 kids and 10 adults extra in your house, you'd better have a plan!  So I quickly searched Pinterest for some Lego party ideas.  I came across this site and found the items I needed for a few of those games around the house!  Phew!
 


I cut a pair of pantyhose (does anyone still call them that?!?), stuck a racquet ball in the toe, and built 5 Lego (or Duplo) towers.  The kids put the open end of the pantyhose on their head and swung the ball around to knock the towers over as fast as possible!  It was great fun!
 

I also found a great Lego man printable. The kids had a great time making their very own Lego person.


I have both boughten (that is a word, I promise) and made cakes in the past.  This year I just didn't have the oomph to do it.  So, off to Safeway we went and found this cute primary coloured cupcake cake (is that what we're calling it?).  I just added the Lego candies and voila!  Instant Lego (cup)cake.  Warning...eating copious amounts of bright blue icing is like a science experiment when it comes out the other end.
 

I am so thankful that both of the grandmas were able to come up (and even stay an extra day due to the 30 hours straight snowstorm we had...never mind that it is March!) and help us celebrate K's big day.  I'm sure I say this every year, but I can hardly believe my baby is 6.  SIX!  Seems like just yesterday I was walking the block in Vancouver trying to bid him come out!

We love to party around here!  Have you had any theme parties lately?  I'd love to hear how you celebrate!

Comments

Popular Posts