Sick Day

Today was a sick day.  It was beautiful outside, but I just couldn't make myself go!  Instead, we did a new (to us) indoor activity.

I found this idea through a blog, via Pinterest.  I knew my boys would LOVE using a hammer to smash things.  I also knew, when I started, that I did not feel well--I was really hoping it would be an easy project.  It was!

You could totally involve your kiddos in the creation of the smashable cotton balls, but my guys were playing so nicely in the other room that I just did it myself.

First up, create the paste that you'll dip the balls in.  The original recipe called for equal parts flour and water, but I found it too thick.  I ended up using 1/3 cup flour to about 1/2 cup water.


Next, add colour!!  Anyone else wish that red food colouring actually produced red results?  Oh well, the boys didn't mind.


Then you get messy!  This is the part I think most kids would love.  I think my guys would do it, but they would have probably wanted to wash their hands after every dip!


I laid them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet...


...and baked them at 250F for 50 minutes.  Next time I think I'll either cook them a bit longer, or use a higher temp.  A few of the cotton balls were too soft to really smash because there was a wee bit of moisture that hadn't cooked out.


Now for the fun part!  Pounding the little things to smithereens!


Little brother had to use both hands in order to hit them dead on. 
I must admit, they made quite a satisfying crunching sound each time they hit one. 
Another fun result?  Pulling the fresh white cotton out of the hard shell.  K was especially keen to do that part!
 

 
We even put some down on the ground and stomped them!  I think they both loved this part the best.
 

 
Have any othe sick day activities to share?  I'd love to hear them!  Let me know if any of you do this one...it'll be fun to see how your kiddos liked it, or learn any new tips/tricks.
 

Comments

Popular Posts