On Married Life

The first of October marked our 4th annual Banff retreat with the Canadian Covenant Church.  I look forward am already looking forward to next year's reatreat!  It is always such a time of rest and reconnection for us.
 
This year was especially so.  The theme, marriage.  Now, I understand that some people would run the other direction at the thought of going and spending a weekend listening to a speaker (speakers in this case--Sharol and Neil Josephson) talk about marriage and how to improve it, yada yada yada.  Let me tell you, it was a great help to us.
 
I like to think we have a pretty good marriage.  In fact, I'm certain we do.  Pretty good does not equal perfect people.  We argue about money, stress about the kids, and are generally pretty dog tired.  But love abounds.  Laughter creeps in at the right moment.  And marriage retreats help you see what parts are broken and how to make steps towards fixing them.
 
Sometimes marriage is like this picture:  It looks good on the camera when you take it, but when you open it up to edit it, you find that it is out of focus. 
 
 
Other times it is like this picture: All rosey and bright and beautiful, and "hooray, I can't believe I get to spend my life with you!"  (has anyone ever said that about a sunset?  probably not)

 
Anyhow, I'll get to the point.  Marriage is great.  Marriage is hard.  Sometimes you just need a little poke in the right direction to get you back on track (and all "hooray" and roses and stuff).  I'm so thankful that we were given the opportunity to step back, evaluate, and course correct.  And, I guess I'm writing this to encourage all my married folk to do something similar. 

(ps, I wish I had taken this picture before I did my bathroom project!  I surely would have used those cute little his and her figures)

Comments

Popular Posts