Adventures in Vegan Pancakes

I have begun a 2 week liver cleanse that pretty much makes me a vegan.  Did I mention my husband is out hunting?  Yeah, you can see how that would go over long term in our house. 
 
Nonetheless, I am on this little adventure.  One more thing, it is an expensive adventure!  You'd think that buying natural, healthy products (most of which are vegetables) would be cheap.  Not so friends. 
 
Enter Saturday morning.  It is tradition in our house to have a pancake breakfast on Saturdays.  We love it!  Because I can't have meat, sugar, dairy, or any grains, pancakes seemed impossible.
Thank God for Pinterest and Google.  (yeah, I went there)  I googled egg free almond pancakes and found a few sites, but this one was by far the most informative.  The Daily Dietribe tested many combinations of gluten free flours with different sugars, liquids, etc. and came up with a great recipe.
 
 
I decided, however, to use a flour that wasn't on the list!  Risky, I know, but since Jason is gone I figured we could always just toss them and revert to our usual cereal/smoothie breakfast if they were totally awful. 

 
Well, after cooking them I thought, "We're off to a good start.  They certainly look like pancakes."
Stringent criteria, I know! 

 
After putting a dollop (I just love that word) of maple flavoured cashew cream on top, I was ready to dive in!!  Because who doesn't want to eat soy almond pancakes smothered in pulverized cashews?  Really?
 
 
Let me tell you, THEY WERE AWESOME!!  Look, I have nothing against eating like this.  It is just new.  NEW.  And sometimes new is hard.  These pancakes were not!  They were really easy to make, and they tasted amazing.  I have two little boys who love their daddy's buttermilk pancakes.  It took the older one a whole pancake to figure out it wasn't the same recipe.  And then, all he simply said was, "Mommy, these taste a bit different, but still really good!"
 
So, without further ado, here's the recipe (adapted from The Daily Dietribe):
 
1 cup soy flour
1/4 cup almond pulp (leftover from making almond milk yesterday)
1/2 cup potato starch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp agave
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1.  Mix the dry ingredients in large bowl.
2. Wisk together wet ingredients in seperate bowl.
3. Combine wet and dry.  Cook over medium heat! 

Just a few notes:  If Jason would have been home, I would have made a double batch.  I also want to let you know that I didn't grease my skillet.  I wasn't sure if it would be needed, but it totally wasn't.
 
Now, how about that sweet maple cashew cream?  I originally saw the idea on Oprah years ago.  Never tried it until yesterday.  I found a recipe for cashew cream cheese here.  I made a double batch of cashews, then followed Katie's recipe for the savoury cream cheese, and experimented to get my own sweeter version (I had these pancakes--and  a cup of coffee- in mind).

Sweet Maple Cashew Cream (adapted from Figgy and Sprout)

1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup water (or more for desired consistency)
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp agave
3/4 tsp maple extract

After soaking the cashews overnight, drain and rinse.  Put in blender (or in my case, a large bowl--I used my immersion blender) and add other ingredients.  Blend, baby blend!  I'm happy with the consistency of mine, but if you have a really kick butt blender or food processor, use it!  I think it would be even better smoother. 
 
Okay guys, enjoy!  Let me know if you have any luck with other gluten free flours for the pancakes!!


Comments

Popular Posts