Cantaloupe, Cherry, and Quinoa Salad

Do you participate in the quinoa (say, keen-wah), quinoa (say kin-oh-uh) debate?  Well, I have all but given up on the debate.  I say keen-wah, but think kin-oh-uh EVERY TIME.  Anyhow, today K decided to help me make a salad to bring to our church BBQ.
 
I went on Pinterest and searched for inspiration.  Problem, I had quinoa and little else to work with.  I started with this recipe, but quickly found I had to adapt it to fit my fridge contents.
 
 
Here's K pitting the cherries for me!
 
 
And me, just trying to be seen in one photo.  It is a rare occassion, since I am usually the photographer.
 
 
K enjoying his salad.  What?  Is that the face of enjoyment?  Nope, that is the face of seriousness.  As in, "this is seriously yummy, Mom!"
 
 
Now this, this is the face of delight.  Except I'm not so thrilled at why he was so happy. 
 
 
Yeah, he was oogling my apron.  I was given this apron 8 years ago at a bridal shower by my friend Lori.  I love that it is plastic coated cotton-so easy to clean.  What I am now discovering is that it is like a pin-up poster for my 4 year old.  Crap!  Who knew it started this early?!?
 
 
He said, "Mom, I really like the yellow one, the one with the belly." 
 
Insert short story about parenting reality:  The other day I was standing with another parent friend of mine, who has daughters.  We watched two very pretty and underdressed teenage girls say goodbye to a couple of teenage boys.  There was oogling going on.  (probably from both sides)  I commented, "Boy am I ever glad I don't have girls!!"  To which my friend quipped, "Yeah, but look what they'll be looking at!" 
 
Insert reality check.  And a need for a new apron!!

 
Now on to the good stuff!  Doesn't that salad look amazing?!
 
Quinoa, cantaloupe, and cherry salad
 
1 cup quinoa
1/2 large cantaloupe, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups cherries, pitted and sliced
1/2 cup salted (or not if you prefer) raw pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp balsalmic reduction
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp lime juice
 
1.  Put quinoa with 2 cups water in pan and bring to boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat to med-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.  Let rest for at least a minute before combining with fruit mixture.
 
2.  Cut cantaloupe and cherries.  Combine in bowl with other ingredients.
 
3.  Stir fruit mixture and quinoa together and chill! 
 
Enjoy...we sure did!


Comments

Popular Posts